Author Archives: AZBuilder
Author Archives: AZBuilder
Kitchens are remodeled for a variety of reasons. Most commonly, they’re renovated to add value to your home when selling or because you’ve outgrown the space. Maybe you have appliances that are dated and want to replace them with newer technology (like installing a gas cooktop). You might even be planning a complete overhaul, converting the space from a traditional kitchen to a “kitchen of the future.”
Whatever your motivation, you’ll want to design your new kitchen so it works seamlessly with your lifestyle. Here are some ways to maximize storage and countertop space while creating room for appliances — these are essential if you’re trying to create the most efficient layout possible:
When remodeling your kitchen, one of the biggest advantages is you will be in charge of every aspect. If you are lucky to have a great skill set or can find an excellent contractor with amazing vision, it can become an opportunity to create a space that becomes the signature of your home and family.
We all know what we want our kitchens to do and look like from a functional perspective but as you plan out your remodel, there are a number of other considerations you should take into account.
A good place to start is with the backsplash. There are many choices available in materials along with different styles for installation but it should compliment the overall design theme of your remodel. Certain materials such as glass, marble or stone will help tie the backsplash into your countertops and provide a seamless design flow.
Kitchen remodels can range from very minor changes to complete tear outs and new construction of kitchen cabinetry. If you are thinking about replacing your cabinets or moving them around, consider these factors:
– How your cabinets are positioned and stored now. This will help you determine the best location for them in your new kitchen space.
– Choose a material and color that blends with the rest of your home design. In some cases, it may be better to stick to neutral colors if you plan on moving into another house or selling your current one in the near future.
– Consider adding an island to your kitchen design. The advantage of an island is it provides a space for food preparation and multiple persons can work at it without crowding each other. It also helps add more storage space that will make preparing meals easier and faster with less mess and clutter. An additional workspace may be ideal if you have a large family or cook frequently for parties.
Designed to be the center of life within the home, kitchens have evolved into major multi-purpose spaces. Today’s cooks use their kitchen for a lot more than just cooking; it is where we congregate, share family meals and plan our day ahead. When designing your dream kitchen, take into account how you actually use it now. Do you entertain frequently? Do you like to cook? How many people do you typically cook for at a time? Do you plan your day around meals or does cooking tend to be an afterthought in the morning when everyone is running late and hungry?
With all of the choices available, it’s easy to get overwhelmed with the planning process. One way to get it all under control is to record your ideas in a series of sketches and diagrams. Draw each space, label them with what they are used for and start making notes on the best layout or where specific elements should go.
Once you have an idea of how items will look, take measurements and pick out your favorite style, colors and materials. If you are unsure about the size or function of any item, take a photo of it from different angles to make sure you understand how much space is needed for everything.
In this article topic “kitchen remodeling steps” we will show you a detailed compilation of the various tasks that are required for an effective kitchen remodeling process. You can choose from any of these DIY home improvement tips and tools to plan and execute the needed kitchen remodeling steps yourself or you can have the professionals do it for you.
1. Estimate costs of doing kitchen remodeling
Depending on which particular DIY home improvement tips and tools are used, cost estimates could vary from $2,500 to $20,000+. The more comprehensive/complex the required kitchen remodeling steps are, the higher will be the costs.
2. Clean and inspect kitchen cabinets
Cabinets should be cleaned, inspected for water damage and defects. Also make sure to check the power of doors. They should open freely without any binding or sticking issues.
If there is water damage then a repair professional from your area should be consulted.
3. Call local contractors to promptly remove and dispose of your old kitchen cabinets if they’re in bad shape, damaged or no longer usable. Always request a receipt from the contractor for full insurance in case there are any issues with the new cabinets at a later time.
4. Lay down a marker to outline the area that you will be remodeling and then set up your tape measure again. Mark an “X” at both ends of where you want your new cabinets to finish. This will help make it easier for your contractor to find the proper location for installation.
5. Gather your receipts and all other documents from the contractor to determine if there is enough money in your budget for the complete kitchen remodeling steps. See information regarding personal finances and long-term financial savings below this article topic: “Is now a good time to do kitchen remodeling”.
6. Order your new kitchen cabinets from your local store or online via the Internet. You can find a multitude of kitchen cabinet styles, sizes and designs to choose from.
7. Choose a color scheme for the cabinets and accessories (countertops, sink & faucet, backsplash etc.). You can use either paint or wallpaper as your secondary decorating addition.
8. Order any required replacements for lights, plumbing fixtures and flooring. These are usually ordered from the same store where you bought your new cabinets. Remember to check that they will match the colors of the new cabinets and other decorations.
9. The contractor will likely schedule the appointment to install your latest kitchen cabinets, counters and appliances at a set date in the near future (usually within 1-2 weeks). Once this is scheduled you can go ahead and purchase any new items (pots, pans, dishes etc.) that you require for your kitchen.
10. Arrange to have someone stay at the house while the contractor installs your cabinets, appliances and countertops etc. Failure to do so may result in damage to your property or belongings. Depending upon how much labor will be required the contractor may want you onsite just for a few hours or maybe even overnight.
11. Keep in mind that it is usually a good idea to seal off the room you are remodeling from moisture and other elements that can cause damage while the process is underway (i.e. removing old cabinets, installing new ones, etc.). This prevents problems such as: mold, mildew or stains from the constant use of water.
12. Any work that needs to be done during your kitchen remodeling steps will likely require the assistance of a professional (carpenter, plumber etc.). A list of potential professionals can be found at: “The Contractors”.
13. The kitchen remodeling steps can be a very exciting and rewarding process to take part in, but it is also good to remember that there are many other responsibilities that you will have to deal with during the process as well. For example: making sure your family has enough food and water while the remodel is underway.
14. If you will be away from your home during the project, it will likely be necessary to hire someone to check on the progress and repair any issues that arise (carpenter, plumber etc.). This additional cost can add up quickly so make sure to factor this into your budget.
15. The contractor will schedule the appointment to install your latest kitchen cabinets, counters and appliances at a set date in the near future (usually within 1-2 weeks). Once this is scheduled you can go ahead and purchase any new items (pots, pans, dishes etc.) that you require for your kitchen.
16. Once the cabinet installation is complete, arrange to have someone stay at the house while your contractor installs new appliances, countertops etc. Failure to do so could result in damage to your property or belongings. Depending upon how much labor will be required you may need to be onsite for a few hours or maybe even overnight.
17. Before you purchase new appliances, be sure to find out if your home is wired properly (circuit breaker etc.) and if not, plan to have it done before the installation date of the appliances. You can also consult a local contractor for this service.
18. If you live in a home where your kitchen cabinets are not installed properly or are damaged, it is probably best to have them replaced before attempting to locate the issue as faulty wiring can cause property damage beyond just your kitchen such as fires etc. Be sure that these repairs are done by a professional contractor.
19. Once the kitchen countertop and cabinets are finally installed you can feel free to begin purchasing any additional items that you may need immediately such as: new dishes, pots, pans etc. Depending upon your financial situation it is a good idea to budget for these expenses in advance; this will allow you to have everything you need with no issues once the remodel is complete.
20. Once your kitchen has finally been completed to your liking, it is likely that you will want to get rid of any damaged or old appliance that you replaced during the process (dish washer, fridge etc.). If this is the case, make sure to get rid of these items in a responsible manner or otherwise dispose of them properly.
21. If you have not already done so, now is a good time to arrange to have appliances installed (stove etc.) if you are moving into a newly purchased home. Most appliance stores will schedule the installation of your appliances at a set date in the future and pick up old or damaged appliances at that time.
22. You can now arrange to have any additional items you purchased during this process delivered to your home (dishes, pots etc.). If you are planning on hosting a special event at your home, you may want to arrange for the delivery of your dishes etc. before the event rather than on the day of or even worse, right before the event.
23. If there will be a delay in your new appliances being delivered due to holidays or other scheduling conflicts with your appliance store and delivery service, you may want to arrange to have your contractor install your old appliances until they can be delivered.
24. Once you are happy with the results of your kitchen remodeling project, make sure to schedule some time within the next few days or at least a week (depending upon how much was completed) to arrange for cleaning, painting etc. that may be necessary before you can use your kitchen properly.
25. Now is a good time to discuss with any contractors about scheduling repairs or maintenance in the future (such as periodically replacing refrigerator seals etc.) rather than waiting until something breaks and having it done on an emergency basis. This will allow you to pick a time that is convenient for you and your family rather than having to deal with the hassle of dealing with emergency repairs.
26. Before you begin tackling any projects in your newly renovated kitchen, make sure to put everything back where it belongs including: cleaning materials, tools, food etc.
27. If you have a large family or are planning on having one in the future, now is a good time to look into purchasing additional appliances such as: wine coolers, microwaves etc. It may not be necessary to purchase these items right away but it never hurts to start planning for the future.